Services That Arborists Can Provide
An arborist can determine the type of pruning necessary to maintain or improve the health, appearance, and safety of trees. Pruning techniques include removing limbs that:
- Interfere with utilities or structures
- Obstruct streets or sidewalks
- Are dead, weak, or decayed and pose unacceptable risk
- Are diseased or insect-infested
- Have been damaged by storms
- Will increase light penetration and reduce wind resistance within the canopy upon removal(thinning)
- Other pruning techniques are used to maintain proper structure in young trees, improve tree shape or form, and reduce the likelihood of future damage during storm events.
Although tree removal is a last resort, there are circumstances when it is necessary. An arborist can help decide whether a tree should be removed.
Removal is recommended when the tree is:
- Dead or dying
- Considered an unacceptable risk
- Causing an obstruction that is impossible to correct through pruning
- Crowding and causing harm to other, more desirable trees to be replaced by a more suitable specimen located in an area where new construction requires removal
Emergency Tree Care
Storms may cause limbs or entire trees to fall, often landing on other trees, structures, or cars.
The weight of storm-damaged trees is great, and they can be dangerous to remove or prune. An arborist can assist in performing the job in a safe manner, while reducing further risk of damage to property.
Some arborists plant trees, and most can recommend species that are appropriate for a particular location.
The wrong tree in the wrong location will lead to future problems as a result of limited growing space,
insects, diseases, or poor growth.
Many arborists also provide a variety of other tree care services, including:
- Plant Health Care or preventive maintenance to keep trees in good health while reducing any insect, disease, or site problems
- Fertilization and soil modification for improved tree health
- Cabling or bracing for added support to branches with weak attachments
- Soil aeration to improve root growth
- Installation of lightning protection systems
- Applications to manage certain insect and disease problems
- Consulting and legal expert services relating to trees